Friday, March 5, 2010

Email Courage: The Wussification of America

Ever had a friendly face-to-face conversation with a friend, family member, client or customer? Sure we all have. Now...have you ever had the follow-up email from that same person who, all of a sudden, sounds like a different person? You know, the people who may not have the guts to tell you something in person but have no problem turning into Darth Vader via email?

Ahhhhh!!!!

Yes, that's the sound of my frustration. After a couple recent episodes I've tried to figure out why people do that. Here are some of my ideas:

Impersonal: Email is a great tool when used properly. Heck, I love it as it gives me a written record of everything I write so I don't forget! Some people consider email a vacuum void of all emotions and decency. Let me give you a hint...email is still personal. Yes, words via email can hurt just as much as saying it to their face. Think about how your wording could be construed. Put yourself in their shoes.

The wizard behind the curtain: Some people plop down in front of their computers, either at their home office or work cubicle, and all of a sudden they feel fully empowered. (Ha, no one can see what I'm doing now) Great! It's good to feel empowered. But use that power for GOOD, not EVIL. Remember, even the good king has his royal decrees preserved forever in written record.

So...it's my oh so humble opinion that we should all treat email just like a face-to-face conversation.

- Use the same emotions (you do know how to make that famous smiley face, right? :) ) you would in front of the recipient of that email.

- Organize your thoughts but don't be a robot. I love bullet points and numbered items. That doesn't mean I can't sound like a real person and maybe insert a little wit here and there.

- Read the many blogs and articles about email etiquette (no ALL CAPS!).

- Know your audience.

Don't be a wuss...email is a great tool when used for good!

www.oxford-tn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment