Monday, April 12, 2010

Business Leader Necessities: Reading

Sometimes I struggle to find the time to get everything done in the days alloted. You know how it goes, you plan out your day and that plan only lasts until 9am. That's when phone calls, emails and impromptu meeting pop up.

Ever since leaving college I try to read as much as I can to keep me up-to-date on current trends and innovations while also keeping me a sharp and effective leader.

I subscribe to a lot of the same magazines you do: Inc., Entrepreneur, Fast Company, etc... There are a lot of great publications out there. It's just a matter of figuring out what applies your world, and what do you have time to read (as I'm writing this I have a stack of as-of-yet unread magazines).

Another great source of material is the constant flow of business-based books. Because I have such eclectic tastes I often find myself buying three businees books and never finishing them. I say it's because I don't have the time (which is partly true), but part of me also wants the author just to get to the point. Give me the facts, bubba!

I think I found my solution. While flying home from our last vacation I happened to find an ad for a service I'd often thought about but never really researched. You probably all know about it, but I'll share it with that one person who doesn't know: book summaries. Basically, there are companies that take a book and summarize it into 5-10 pages, outline the salient points and give the best quotes.

I researched some companies through TopTenReviews and settled on getAbstract. They seemed to have the best selection and decent pricing. I've already breezed through 15 books in a couple of weeks. I love it.

Different services have different pricing options. Check 'em out and see what you think. I'll let you know how it goes from my end.


Carlos Cooper
Oxford Property Management

No comments:

Post a Comment